What We Do - Meetings & Minutes
The Full Governing meets twice a term. The minutes from these meetings are added to the website once they have been approved by the Governing Body at the beginning of the next meeting. The dates for the Full Governing Body 2019/2020 are:
- 15 October 2019
- 17 December 2019
- 06 February 2020
- 24 March 2020
- 20 May 2020
- 09 July 2020
In addition to being on the Full Governing Body all Governors sit on one of two sub committees:
These Committees do a lot of the detailed work of the Governing Body and report to the meetings of the Full Governing Body.
Wickham Church of England Primary School has 14 governors consisting of:
- 4 Foundation Governors
- 5 Co-opted Governors
- 2 Parent Governors
- 1 Local Authority Governor
- 1 Headteacher
- 1 Staff Governor
We can be contacted via the school office or by email:
The Role of a Governor:
Our role is to support the head teacher and the staff in providing the best possible educational environment for the children at our school. We have the responsibility for the school overall strategic direction. More specifically:
Key roles of Governors:
- To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- To hold the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff
- To oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent
We also carry out a number of other important duties, which include:
- Determining how the school's budget is spent
- The appointing and dismissing of staff
- Hearing appeals and grievances
- Forming policy on the school's curriculum and collective worship
- Setting standards for pupils' behaviour and discipline
- Making sure school buildings are welcoming and safe
- Setting and monitoring the school's aims and policies
- We ensure the school provides for ALL pupils
- We ensure that the National Curriculum is taught
- We contribute to how the school can encourage pupils spiritual, moral and cultural development
Term and Appointment
Governors at Wickham Church of England Primary are appointed for a 4 year term. Each category of governor is appointed in a different way:
Parent Governors: Parents will receive a letter when a vacancy arises inviting nominations. Where there are more parents wishing to serve as governors than vacancies, an election is held. If there are fewer parents than vacancies, parents can be elected unopposed.
Headteacher: the Headteacher is a member of the Governing Body by virtue of her position.
Staff Governors: The staff governor is elected by the school staff – any election which is contested must be held by ballot.
Authority Governors are nominated by the Local Authority and appointed by the Governing Body. Appointments are made on the basis of the individual’s interests and experience at work, home or elsewhere which may be relevant to being a governor.
Co-opted Governors are appointed by the Governing Body. Appointments are made taking into account the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school.
Foundation Governors are appointed by the Diocese.